Everyone loves cinnamon buns. The aroma, the taste is so amazing that you want to have them every day. I personally love simple cinnamon buns and those with apple and cinnamon filling, freshly baked in the morning are the best thing to have with freshly brewed coffee. Ohhh so yummy..
There are many variations of those buns. I think every country has its own recipe for those buns. In Sweden they are called kalenbulle, which is much bigger than normal cinnamon buns. In Finland its known as korvapuusti. Usually buns are with cinnamon and sugar, sometimes they have cardamon and other types of filling. In Poland we call them “cynamonki”. I remember from my childhood delicious bun with apple and cinnamon. I swear the best sweet buns you can imagine. If you like to add some twist to your buns try this recipe for “szarpance”
The key is perfect dough, which has to be soft and spongy and also light. I’ve tried many yeast dough recipes, sometimes it worked sometimes not. Why? because yeast dough is tricky. Proportions have to be measured very precisely, all ingredients have to be room temperature, then they way of kneading the dough is also very important. You can not knead it too fast, or too long, too short will ruined the dough. I usually knead my dough for about 10 minutes, then leave it for 40-60 minutes and then knead a little bit more. That’s the tip from me, now let me share my recipe with you.
This recipe is for 20 buns. You can dived dough into two and make one bunch, and the rest of the dough use another day, or freeze it. You can freeze the dough up to one week.
250 grams of flour plus 50 grams will be needed later- I used normal self raising
1/2 yogurt*- simple normal or Greek one will be fine
7 grams dry yeast nor 25 grams of fresh ones – you can make leaven first, but it’s not necessarily*
1 Tbsp sugar- don’t use sugar if you made leaven
40 grams of soft butter- or coconut oil, you can also use sunflower oil.
For filling you will need:
1 cup soaked dates- I soak them with hot water for about 1 hour
1/2 shredded chocolate
1/2 tsp cinnamon- or more if you like.
Put all ingredients into a blender and mix until it’s smooth. If it’s too dry add a little bit of dates water if too watery add some oats. That’s it, simple right?
How to make buns? It’s easy, follow those steps:
- Make leaven. If you decide not to make it, just add yeast into flour.
- Sieve flour.
- Add butter and yogurt. Mix everything in your hands.
- Add leaven and mix with your hands.
- Dough at the beginning will be sticky and gooey and it will be hard to make any shape with it. Don’t worry, later you will add 50 grams of flour and it will be fine. Knead dough for few minutes and put it aside for 10 minutes. It should increase the size slightly.
- After 10 minutes add 50 grams of flour, now knead it until the dough is soft, elastic and you can form nice ball out of it. Again put it aside for 20 minutes. should rise a little bit. The most important is, that the dough is elastic and easy to formed.
- After 20 minutes take your ball and divided into two balls, it will be easier for you to work with it. One ball put on your pastry board and start rolling with rolling pin. Dough should have rectangle shape, but whatever shape you will get it will be good. Remember cooking is fun!!
- Spread your filling and chocolate on prepared base and start rolling, from bottom to top.
- Cut your roll into small buns.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place your buns on baking tray. Brush them with beaten egg and sprinkle some sugar on the top and cinnamon. Put them aside for 5 minutes
- Bake buns for 30 minutes, until they are golden on the top.
- Serve them when they are warm with creamy frosting!
For creamy frosting, mix mascarpone cheese with some sugar and a little bit of lemon juice.
That’s it!! Enjoy them form breakfast or snack with your coffee. Let me know how you like them !! 🙂
*Yogurt makes this dough more elastic and soft, also it’s a replacement for milk. If you are vegetarian or vegan use soy milk or soy yogurt.
*If you decide to make leaven, you will need 150 ml warm water, 3 Tbsp flour and 1/2 Tbsp sugar. Mix yeast in water first then add flour and sugar, use wooden spoon!!! Combine everything nicely, covered with cloths and keep in warm place for 15 minutes. Yeast will work best in warm place, remember to not to use to hot water, and don’t use expired yeast, they will not rise.